Pages

Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Sorority Life

Joining a sorority is something I always wanted to do.  I did not know a lot about sorority life, but the few things I did know interested me and I was hoping for the chance to join.  Two years before I went off to college I was on a touring college trip with my family for my sister and at one of the schools we saw all of the sorority girls out on the football field.  There were hundreds of women dressed in their particular sorority shirt and my mom said she saw me there being a part of those women.  I knew it would be an interesting experience and when I transferred to Cal Poly Pomona I knew this was my chance.

In each of my classes I scoped out the girls wearing their sorority letters and did my best to position myself next to them hoping to strike up a conversation and learn more. Yes, I know I'm that girl. But seriously, it worked and this was how I met by big sis.  I went to this school hoping to join a particular sorority because I knew people who were a members at different schools. However, going through recruitment is how you find your place. The sorority I initially wanted was not the right fit for me. Every chapter is different at each school and recruitment is how you meet each sorority and the members.  Sigma Kappa was exactly my place. This sorority fit me so well and I was beyond ecstatic to receive my bid.

Greek Week Olympics Day Letters-2010
I could not wait for girlfriends, sisters, fun activities, service projects, etc. The first year was rough and challenging for me. But the second year after recruitment I met my little sis and formed friendships that I still have today.  I met my best friends through Sigma Kappa and learned so many great skills.  Sorority life was exactly what I needed to branch out of my shell, meet new people, and get involved.

Sigma Kappa Zeta Upsilon Bid Day Fall 2009
Seriously, I could write an entire novel about sisterhood and the benefits of sorority life.  Truly, it is not all what you see in the media of drunken girls who party all the time.  There are values, rituals, and standards you are held accountable for and experiences that you would not normally encounter.  I may have had some trials, but for the most part I gained so much more.

5 years later I had the privileged of my best friends/sisters attending my wedding!!
Cheers to sisterhood!

No comments:

Post a Comment