Pages

Tuesday, May 9, 2017

Adventures in Coffee Shopping

I am obsessed with my morning cup of coffee! Pretty much the only thing that gets me out of bed in the morning is knowing that I get to enjoy a delicious hot cup of coffee. I am addicted!

The first day we moved into our apartment I could not wait to be reunited with my beloved Keurig machine. However, we had some converter issues and ended up buying a Nespresso machine. Our impulse purchase of the Nespresso is another story in itself, but I am going to leave those details out as it is not entirely appropriate to be posted on the internet. Let's just say we were exhausted after setting up our apartment and getting an espresso machine was the LAST thing my husband wanted to do. Ask me the rest in person sometime because it's a good one ;). Anyway, I am obsessed with my Nespresso as it allows me to make my very own delicious latte from the comfort of my own home.

I have the Nespresso Citiz & Milk machine
Living in the middle of a city got a whole lot better when I learned there is a Nespresso boutique right down the street from our apartment. When it came time to purchase new espresso pods I was very excited to have the store so close and could not wait to venture over to pick out new flavors.

Let's pause for a second and get a little background information about Sweden. One of the things I have learned living here is that Sweden is very much a do-it-yourself country. There is typically a figure it out yourself mentality. In fact, store employees usually do not help you nor offer to do so. If you need to ask a question or need assistance they will help you, but generally you help yourself to everything.  Even in the grocery store you bag your own groceries and the cashier does not even hand you the receipt, you have to rip it out of the machine yourself if you want it. 


I first walked into Nespresso boutique and noticed all the espresso machines on one side and a huge wall of pods on the opposite side. Knowing you usually do things yourself I walked over to the wall and started browsing all the different coffee types. I grabbed a few different boxes when an employee said something to me in Swedish. I bashfully said "sorry I don't speak Swedish" and she repeated in English that I was not allowed over there as it was for employees only. I needed to get a number from the kiosk at the front of the store and wait to be called and they would gather the coffee for me. I was mortified!! I quickly apologized and started to put back the items I grabbed while the customer the employee was assisting laughed. I was so ready for the floor to open up and swallow me.

At this pointed I wasn't sure if I wanted to laugh at my stupidity or run crying out of the store. Instead, I got my number, waited to be called, and eventually left with coffee in hand. I waited for Chris to get home where I recounted the entire story to have him laughing at me.  He felt bad that I was embarrassed, but couldn't help laughing at my experience. Lesson learned for me that sometimes bad situations help you figure things out and this will happen many more times during my journey in Sweden.

I am happy to report that I have successfully purchased coffee there numerous times since without any embarrassment!

My favorite coffee drinking companion

No comments:

Post a Comment